Mugambi has a decade of experience in legal practice, with substantial legal experience as in-house counsel. He has spent over seven years in the Financial Services sector, providing exemplary legal support both in compliance and product development to the short and long-term insurance and fund management (private wealth and corporate clients including pension and collective investment schemes) businesses. He has been involved in several complex financial and commercial transactions both as team participant and team leader. These transactions include mergers & acquisitions, corporate restructurings and re-organisations, debt and equity capital raising transactions, securitizations, retirement benefits and scheme administration, scheme conversions, employee relations and benefits
management, general corporate commercial law and capital markets. He has also served as a Compliance Manager, gaining substantial experience in the financial services sector compliance universe in East Africa including compliance with the Unclaimed Financial Assets regime. He also served as a Trustee of UAP Staff Pension (Defined Contribution) scheme, overseeing assets and investments worth over Ksh. 1 Billion, and as a member of the UAP Old Mutual Foundation Management Committee.
Mugambi is an Advocate of the High Court of Kenya and holds a Bachelor of Laws degree (LL.B) from Moi University and a Diploma in Law from the Kenya School of Law. He is also a Graduate of the prestigious Strathmore Business School Aspire Leadership Training program tailored to equip the modern manager on how to lead in today’s dynamic environment.
- Acted as lead in-house legal adviser for a syndicated financing transaction worth KES. 5.5. Billion.
- Acted as lead in-house legal adviser for several multi-jurisdictional financing transactions in the East Africa Region involving both local and foreign based lenders.
- Acted as lead in-house legal adviser for the retiring of the UAP Holdings PLC Corporate Bond.
- Acted as lead legal adviser transfer of the fund management operations and mandate from Old Mutual Investment Services to Old Mutual Investment Group as part of the Group re- organisation exercise.
- Acted as a team participant and in-house legal adviser for the construction and finalisation of the UAP Old Mutual Tower, UAP Equatoria Tower (South Sudan) including letting activities.
- Acted as lead in-house of in the development of a new strategic outcome for the UAP Old Mutual Property Portfolio.
- Acted as lead in-house legal adviser in respect of the UAP Properties Limited (South Sudan), supply and installation of a Solar PV Plant on Build Operate Transfer (BOT) Model.
- Acting as lead in-house legal counsel and provided legal support, advisory and project management for the successful transition of a Defined Benefit scheme to a Defined Contribution Scheme.
- Advising on Compliance requirements in respect of the Unclaimed Financial Assets Authority for Life insurance Companies and Pension Schemes.
- Advising on various contract matters including commercial leases. Conducting Insurance Recoveries, debt recoveries, litigation management of litigations with values at risk cumulatively of over USD$ 25,0000,000.00