Mugambi has over 20 years’ experience in legal practice, with substantial legal and boardroom experience as an in-house counsel, Company Secretary and member of corporate boards. He has been involved as a legal advisor in a number of large corporate deals, mergers & acquisitions, corporate restructurings, listings, privatization, debt and capital raising transactions and energy projects. He has advised on private equity transactions, competition law, tax, capital markets and aviation law.
He holds qualifications in law and financial management (LL.B, MBA, Dip. Law and Dip.FM) and is a Certified Public Secretary and Certified Governance Auditor. He has served as a Member of the Kenyatta University Council, Board Member of the Privatization Commission of Kenya, Communications Authority of Kenya, Seriani Asset Managers Limited, and Mayfair CIB Bank Limited.
He has been recognised by the Capital Markets Authority for his contribution to the implementation of the Kenya 10 Year Capital Markets Master Plan as a member of the Capital Markets Master Plan Implementation Committee and Co-Chairperson of Working Group 3 which reviews and recommends changes to the legal and regulatory environment in order to deepen capital markets in Kenya.
Mugambi was cited by Chambers Global 2017 and 2018 as a “Recognised Practitioner” in the Corporate & Commercial Law rankings for Kenya. He was ranked in Chambers Global in 2019 and 2020, with part of the citation stating that he is appreciated by clients for his ‘sharp legal mind’ and ‘solutions-oriented approach’. He is in the last stage towards qualifying as a Solicitor of England and Wales under the Qualified Lawyers Transfer Scheme.
• Acted as the team leader of the legal advisory team for Centum Investment Company Plc in the disposal of its stake in two beverage-manufacturing companies, in two parallel transactions valued at over nearly USD 200M, involving multiple jurisdictions within the COMESA region.
• Involved, as chief in-house counsel, in the merger of Stanbic Bank Kenya Limited and CfC Bank Limited, in a complex transaction involving multiple regulators as it involved banking business, insurance business, fund management, stock-brokerage, custodial services and a public listed entity, with cross-border implications in Kenya, Tanzania, the United Kingdom and South Africa. Subsequently involved, in the same capacity, in the demerger of the banking and insurance businesses into two separate listed entities in Kenya, but with similar cross-border implications as the merger.
• Advised in a 140MW geothermal project which included conducting legal due diligence and negotiating various complex project agreements; Steam Supply Agreement, EPC and O & M Contracts as well as the Power Purchase Agreement (PPA). • Legal advisor for the privatization of three public sector hotels and in Kenya, as part of a consortium comprising a multi-disciplinary team.
• Acted for Centum and the management of GenAfrica Asset Managers Limited in the acquisition and subsequent disposal of a majority stake in GenAfrica, a fund manager licensed to manage pension funds with operations in Kenya and Uganda, a transaction valued at close to Kes 2 Billion.
• Legal Advisor in the structuring and setting up of a USD 500 Million Private Equity Fund domiciled in Mauritius, for purposes of investing in East Africa.
• Acted for Two Rivers Development Limited as legal advisors in the raising of Kes 2 Billion debt through Guaranteed Loan Notes.